Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Moto-bi

Let me explain the title. In Vietnamese many nouns are two words. The first is a classifier (I believe) like ‘Xe Dap’, bicycle, or ‘Xe Taxi’, you can guess that one. Xe simply means that the noun is a form of transportation. Also, word endings are not important, which is abundantly obvious even in my intermediate classes where plurals, possessives, and word final consonants in general are dropped. Unfortunately I have been forced to use a yard stick to enforce pronunciation. 
Therefore, Motorbike becomes moto-bi, which sounds like the extreme of sexual deviancy. Anyway, I just rented a bike and talk about a high! The first ride was about two seconds long. Apparently the gas is touchy when the bike is in first gear (you have to shift these things?) It took me across the street and almost over the curb. Good thing there is no such thing as road rage or personal weapons here, just a cacophony of honking. Well I got honked at a bunch, calmed myself down, and eventually figured it out. The first day was full of lurching, apologies to people who don’t understand me, and the general feeling of having adrenaline pumped right into my heart. But, I’m better now. I think I’ll be able to do this, and even enjoy it. I think I'll call my bike Blue Magic.
My driving habits have already taken a down turn by US standards. Signals, what are those for? The Vietnamese don’t know. One ways and solid lines on the road? Mostly just a strong suggestion. The rules of the road: don’t go fast and honk the hell out of everything that moves. Honk even if nobody is around and you just gotta honk. Oh, and keep a hundred in your wallet for the cops.

1 comment:

mwillcox said...

Dad and I are concerned about your Blue Magic! Is it getting easier and/or safer for you on the motorbike? Also, what do you mean you are forced to use a yardstick????
love,
Mom