Thursday, October 16, 2008

Culture Clash

I n tonight's Pre-Intermediate class we had a little side conversation at the end of class that started with a reading about Porto, Portugal and a bridge designed there by Eiffel. I was told by the students that a bridge here in Hanoi was designed by Eiffel as well, the old Long Bien Bridge across the Red River. I asked if it had been destroyed, in part, during the wars. But, according to them it had been damaged, but not destroyed, and now only motorbike and bicycle traffic can cross it because of the damage done by the Japanese, or French, or Americans. Also, a bridge near Haiphong was built by Eiffel. I asked if it was still there even though the Americans destroyed Haiphong. We had an argument over if Haiphong had been destroyed or not, and then one guy admitted that some spans (he actually used the word spans) had been destroyed. 
They thought it was funny I called it the American War.
This led naturally to a discussion about John McCain, whom they didn't dislike, but everyone liked Barack Obama better. One lady said she liked him because he is colored. I explained that 'colored' is not a term used anymore, but I didn't tell her it was a bad term. I didn't want it to seem like I was reprimanding her. 
Then, oddly, someone asked what I thought about Putin. I said I thought he was very bad, evil. This surprised many of them. Out of the whole class all but one said they liked Putin. I asked how they could like him when he had journalists murdered and hurt democracy. Either they were unconcerned about democracy or didn't understand. As far as killing journalists all that were Pro-Putin said it was okay sometimes, when necessary.
I was taken aback. I guess I assume that everyone is on a basis of classic liberalism and pluralism and all that other good Baroque/Renaissance Locke, Rousseau, and Jefferson system of politics. But, this is Asia. And this country still calls itself Communist. 
The side conversation ended with me saying 'We are very different,' everyone laughing and us returning to our reading skills lesson. But, I felt like a stranger in a very different place, something that had worn away somewhat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, for me, is also the 9th anniversary of Rebecca's death and two days ago was the one decade anniversary of Catey's death. It seems so long ago, and truly it was almost half my life ago. I have left middle school and High school since then, graduated from college, seen much of the world, survived a boot camp, and in someways become the vagabond I wanted to be in junior high. I am now six years older than Catey, but she is still my older sister. I haven't seen her in ten years and I have done a lot, but I still miss my big sister. I wish she was still a presence somewhere in my life, to talk to, and look up to, to come visit me. I think she would have enjoyed Hanoi and Vietnam very much. 

No comments: