Sunday, October 19, 2008

Waiting for the Water Heater...

Last night I went to another live music event (and I was told live music is rare here) at an upscale restaurant and bar. Actually had to pay over a dollar for a beer! The band was a mix of expats from around the world doing Santana and other diverse covers. I have now begun to notice faces that I see elsewhere and last night I saw many of the same people I have seen on other weekends or even every weekend. The expat scene is a little ingrown and many seem like not the nicest people. I think I was probably the youngest or second to youngest person there, which surprises me. I expected more people my age with the same 'just got out of college' story. Maybe that is how it is in Korea and Japan and I've landed in the old-hand, committed English Teacher, corner of Asia. 
The music was decent though and it was nice to be out with a few friends, all of whom are from different countries. One of them, Jouke from the Netherlands, got her purse stolen the other day, which reminds me to be vigilant. I keep my wallet in my front pocket and I always check my balcony door before leaving. Grandma is very clear on this, because roof-to-roof jumping thieves are not unknown.
If you are wandering, Grandma is Madame Lan, my landlady. She is incredibly kind, even when, on friday I came back too late (eight past midnight) and she had to unbolt the door. She manages to force food on me as I pass her door no matter how quiet I try to be. Last night it was a tomato (?) a couple nights before it was cake and watermelon. The cake and watermelon was well earned though, I had to listen to her little nephew read in French. I had no idea what he was saying, but it sounded pretty good, so I said he was brilliant. Not that Grandma understands me, she speaks to me in a polyglot of French, English, and Vietnamese. But eyebrows and smiles are usually enough with a 'merci' thrown in. 
Well, I think I'm going to go explore more of my neighborhood.

1 comment:

mwillcox said...

Mitch,
See the comment I left after your first entry.
Mom